Gifts of the Spirit


Jesus is God manifested in the flesh (2 Corinthians 5:19) and prophesied of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit to anyone who believes:

John 7:37-39 KJV - In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. [38] He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. [39] (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given ; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

The Holy Spirit is represented as a white dove, according to this Bible passage:

Matthew 3:16 KJV - And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:


The gift of the Holy Spirit was also talked about as being sent after Jesus was to leave, meaning after His death, burial, resurrection, and ascension to Heaven:

John 14:15-20 KJV - If ye love me, keep my commandments. [16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; [17] Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. [18] I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. [19] Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. [20] At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

After Jesus resurrected, Jesus told the disciples that He would send the Holy Spirit to them:

Acts 1:1-9 KJV - The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, [2] Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen: [3] To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: [4] And, being assembled together with them , commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he , ye have heard of me. [5] For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. [6] When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? [7] And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. [8] But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. [9] And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

The Gift of the Holy Spirit is for believers today, anyone who repents, gets baptised in water, and believes in the Lord Jesus. John the Baptist prepared the way for Jesus the Messiah with the water baptism of repentance:

Acts 13:24-25 KJV - When John had first preached before his coming the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel. [25] And as John fulfilled his course, he said, Whom think ye that I am? I am not he (Jesus). But, behold, there cometh one after me, whose shoes of his feet I am not worthy to loose.

Jesus is the head of the Body of Christ and baptizes whomever He will in the Holy Spirit:

Matthew 3:11 KJV - I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

I believe I was baptized in the Holy Spirit when I was fasting and repenting a few years ago in my apartment. I was flooded with an overwhelming amount of love, peace, and healing and I wept for hours. This happened when I was thinking about Jesus dying on the cross for us. I did not speak in tongues during that encounter.

Also, Acts Chapter 2 shows us that the Holy Spirit was poured out on Pentecost, and they in the Upper Room were able to prophesy in various languages to the Jews from different nations, so that it would be a sign from God and they may believe:

Acts 2:1-4 KJV - And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. [2] And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. [3] And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. [4] And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Later in the Epistles (letters to the churches), Apostle Paul says we are sealed with the Holy Spirit when we believe:

Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV - In whom ye also trusted , after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, [14] Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

The word "earnest" above is translated from Strong's Number
G728, and means a down payment. Meaning, the Holy Ghost was given to us to secure our salvation until the day of redemption.

Some Pentecostal churches believe that we must speak in tongues in order to be saved, but I'm not going to make that assumption. While the gift of tongues was a sign for many early believers, I don't believe it is the only proof or sign necessary for our salvation and the sealing of the Spirit. Apostle Paul says we receive the Holy Spirit by belief. I myself believe I have heard demonic tongues, so we should not rely on that as proof of salvation, but in sound doctrine and fruits of the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 14:22 KJV - Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

In addition, Apostle Paul tells us that not all believers recieve the Gift of Tongues:

1 Corinthians 12:27-31 KJV - Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. [28] And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. [29] Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? [30] Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? [31] But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.


We see that it is Jesus who appoints each member and their gifts:

1 Corinthians 12:3-11 KJV - Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. [4] Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. [5] And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. [6] And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. [7] But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. [8] For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; [9] To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; [10] To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: [11] But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

1 Corinthians 12:18 KJV - But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

We also see Jesus told us that He is faithful to give the Holy Spirit to them who believe and ask:

Luke 11:10-13 KJV - For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. [11] If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? [12] Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? [13] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

It seems there are two types of tongues, one was the gift to speak in a language that one does not know, and another type is speaking in an unknown language to God:

Acts 2:5-8 KJV - And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. [6] Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. [7] And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? [8] And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

The other type of tongues seems to be a gift to speak with the tongues of angels, in order to edify your own spirit:

1 Corinthians 13:1 KJV - Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

1 Corinthians 14:2,4 KJV - For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him ; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. [4] He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

We also see that sometimes tongues is used as a form of prophesying from God, when there is a interpreter of tongues:

1 Corinthians 14:5-6,13-14 KJV - I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. [6] Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? [13] Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. [14] For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

I encourage you to read the full Chapters of 1 Corinthians 12-14 in resgard to Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

The Gifts of the Spirit are to edify and strengthen the Body of Christ, and each member as a role to play and no one is greater than another. We must seek Spiritual gifts not to be puffed up, but for the right reasons.

1 Corinthians 13:1-13 KJV - Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. [2] And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [3] And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor , and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. [4] Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, [5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; [6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; [7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. [8] Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. [9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. [10] But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. [11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. [12] For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. [13] And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

The Holy Spirit does not give us gifts alone, but is also a comforter, a teacher, the Spirit of truth:

John 14:26-27 KJV - But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. [27] Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

We also know that the Spirit gives us certain attributes to our character:

Galatians 5:22-25 KJV - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, [23] Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. [24] And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. [25] If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

It is my belief that when God created Adam, He breathed His Spirit on him and so Adam had the indwelling of the Holy Spirit:

Genesis 2:7 KJV - And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

It seems that God Almighty (Elohim) gave Adam His own breath, His own Spirit to live. We see Jesus did the same with the disciples:

John 20:20-22 KJV - And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord. [21] Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. [22] And when he had said this, he breathed on them , and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

It is possible that Jesus was the God who breathed on Adam in the Garden of Eden, please see my articles for more information:

• A Christophany?
• Father, Son, Holy Spirit

Please see some of these other disciple resources:

• Who is Jesus?
• Disciple of Jesus?
• Spiritual Warfare
• Religion or Relationship?
• Want to Be Saved?
• A New Creature
• Grace Alone By Faith Alone?
• Not Under the Law
• God or Money?
• Unplug
• Interfaith Movement
• Identity of God
• The Church
• The Narrow Way
• Run the Race - Overcome!
• Spotless Bride
• Is Satan Real?

Comments

Popular Posts