Run the Race! Overcome!


A Race Set Before Us

Apostle Paul said our salvation is similar to a race, and that we must run so that we may obtain the resurrection, which is eternal life in Christ:

  • 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 KJV - Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. [25] And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. [26] I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: [27] But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. 

Apostle Paul said in the above passage that he disciplines his body so that he would not be a castaway, which seems to mean to not lose his salvation in Christ. This is similar to what Jesus says in the first parable in John 15. This appears to imply that eternal security is conditional to His terms and conditions. Similar to a marriage, it is a right to divorce the unfaithful, God can divorce the backslider.

It seems we are in the time of great apostasy, where many people are departing from sound doctrine and the teachings of the Bible. This was prophesied in 2 Thessalonians 2, and is the "falling away" before the AntiChrist emerges on scene:

• Interfaith Movement




Finish The Race!

Jesus, Lord Almighty, told all 7 churches that we must overcome:

  • Revelation 3:5-6 KJV - He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. [6] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.


Prophet Ken Peters shares a word about overcoming in these final moments:

  • 1 Thessalonians 5:20-22 KJV - Despise not prophesyings. [21] Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. [22] Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Ken Peters Prophecy 

Sprint Towards Victory

Apostle Paul indicated in this passage that he has not yet apprehended (obtained) the ressurection of the dead. This seems to mean Paul's eternal salvation is not yet obtained, even as an Apostle:

  • Philippians 3:8-14 KJV - Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, [9] And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: [10] That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; [11] If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. [12] Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. [13] Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do , forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, [14] I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

* The word "apprehend" above is translated from the root:

Strong's Number: G2638 
Original Word: καταλαμβάνω
Transliterated Word: katalambanō
Phonetic Spelling: kat-al-am-ban'-o
Parts of Speech: Verb

  • Strong's Definition - From G2596 and G1983; to take eagerly that is seize, possess etc. (literally or figuratively): - apprehend attain come upon comprehend find obtain perceive (over-) take.
  • Thayer's Definition - to lay hold of to lay hold of so as to make one's own, to obtain, attain to, to make one's own, to take into one's self, appropriate, to seize upon, take possession of, of evils overtaking one, of the last day overtaking the wicked with destruction, of a demon about to torment one, in a good sense, of Christ by his holy power and influence laying hold of the human mind and will, in order to prompt and govern it, to detect, catch, to lay hold of with the mind, to understand, perceive, learn, comprehend

Jesus also gave the disciples a parable showing us we must abide in our faith in Him and His commandments, lest we will be cast off as a branch for the fire (hell):

  • John 15:1-10 KJV - I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. [2] Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. [3] Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. [4] Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. [5] I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. [6] If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. [7] If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. [8] Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. [9] As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. [10] If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

These passages bring a sobering message to the backslidder:

  • 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 KJV - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, [10] Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. [11] And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Let us all be overcomers in Christ Jesus!

  • James 1:12 KJV - Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

God or Money?
• The Food of Death

  • Revelation 22:14-16 KJV - Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. [15] For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. [16] I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.


Don't Give Up!

There are many Christian pastors and teachers that say once you are saved, you are always saved no matter what. Yet, Jesus seems to indicate in this rebuke to the Church of Sardis that He has not found their works perfect, and that many have defiled their garments except a few, and that "IF" we/they overcome, they/our names will not be blotted out of the Book of Life.

  • Revelation 3:1-6 KJV - And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. [2] Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. [3] Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. [4] Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. [5] He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. [6] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
  • Revelation 20:15 KJV - And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.





According to Scriptures, it is possible to:

• Drift away (Heb. 2:1)
• Wander away (Mt. 18:12, 13)
• Wander away from the faith (1 Timothy 6:9-21)
• Error away from truth and destroy the faith of others (2 Tim. 2:18)
• Lose your saltiness (Luke 14:34, 35)
• Deny Jesus (Mk 14:27, 29)
• Fall away from grace (Gal. 5:4)
• Stop believing and fall away in time of testing (Luke 8:13)
• Turn away from in hard times and betray others (Mt. 24:10)
• Wander away from a pure heart, a good conscience and a sincere faith and turn to meaningless talk (1 Timothy 1:5-6)
• Turn back and no longer follow Jesus (John 6:66)
• Have your faith shipwrecked (1 Timothy 1:19)
• Leave the straight way and follow the way of Balaam (2 Peter 2:15)
• Be like a branch that is thrown away and withers (John 15:6)
• Go astray, be offended (John 16:1)
• Turn away to follow Satan (1 Timothy 5:15)
• Depart from the faith to doctrines of devils (1 Timothy 4:1)
• Turn your ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths (2 Tim 4:4)
• Acquire a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God (Heb. 3:12)
• Turn away from him who warns us from heaven (Heb. 12:25)
• Become lukewarm and get spit out of the body of Christ. (Rev. 3:15-16)
• Not remain faithful and be hurt by the second death - lake of fire (Rev. 2:10-11)
• Have God take away your share in the tree of life and in the holy city (Rev 22:19)
• Be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from you secured position. (2 Peter 3:17)
• Be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings (Heb. 13:9)
• Fall away to the point where you cannot be renewed to repentance (Heb. 6:4-6; 2 Peter 2:20-22)
• not remain in Christ and therefore be sent to the fire (the very to remain shows that a person was once WITH Christ in relationship with him (John 15)
• Be a false convert and told by Jesus "I never knew you, worker of lawlessness" (Matt 7:23)
• Hear the gospel and not believe (Luke 8:12)
• Believe the gospel and become unfruitful (Luke 8:14)
• Overstep God's grace by continuing in sin (Romans 6:1-2)
• Not use the talents the LORD gives you, and be denied salvation (Matt 25:25-26)
• Become an Apostle and then be a castaway (1 Corinthians 9:27)

Compiled By Various Christians

--------

For more information on salvation and how to follow Jesus in Spirit and in truth, please see the following links:

• Who is Jesus?
• Disciple of Jesus?
• Spiritual Warfare
• Religion or Relationship?
• Want to Be Saved?
• A New Creature
• Grace Alone By Faith Alone?
• Not Under the Law
• Unplug
• The True Church
• Identity of God
• The Church
• The Narrow Way
• Spotless Bride
• Is Satan Real?
• Hell Study

Comments

Popular Posts