Sick and Weakly?

Sometimes the LORD will chasten us in the flesh so that we will repent and turn to Him instead of being a false convert and condemned with the world.


I remember when I was a backslidden Christian who was in wilfull sin - formication, idolatry, lies, witchcraft, and drinking and partying with the world. I became very sick, and felt I had cancer because I had swollen tonsils for years and was constantly sick with bronchitis. I felt very near to death and began to re-evaluate my life, I began reflecting on my mistakes and I believe the LORD had mercy on me. A time of great grace to get things right and clean up my act.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 KJV - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, [10] Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. [11] And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

I was able to finally get my toxic tonsils removed after years and felt I had another chance at life. I had a renewed perspective on the value of life, the fragility of life, and how I was not in control. I had gratitude that I was healed and began trying to clean up my life as much as I could.

Aposlte Paul tried to warn us that if we partake of the New Covenant, and the shed blood of Jesus (God Embodied), and we continue in sin, we will be chastened to hopefully save our soul.

1 Corinthians 11:25-32 KJV - After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it , in remembrance of me. [26] For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. [27] Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. [28] But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. [29] For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. [30] For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. [31] For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. [32] But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Paul reiterated this in his earlier epistle to the church of Corinth:

1 Corinthians 5:1-13 KJV - It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. [2] And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. [3] For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, [4] In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, [5] To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. [6] Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? [7] Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: [8] Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. [9] I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: [10] Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. [11] But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. [12] For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? [13] But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

Leaven is a symbol of sin, and Apostle Paul was stating that a little sin will spread and corrupt the whole church, just as a little leaven will leaven the whole lump.

Apostle Paul also indicated that those who fornicate and sin should be excluded from the church group and be delivered over to Satan for the destruction of his flesh so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the LORD.

Again, this is God's grace, allowing that sinner to have more time and choose to repent and live a godly life. God will not force us to choose right, but He will chasten us so that we don't receive His eternal wrath in the lake of fire.

---------

Sometimes, a sickness or disease could be a time of testing, or to humble us in the flesh:

2 Corinthians 12:7-9 KJV And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. [8] For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. [9] And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Paul recieved a thorn in the flesh to humble him and allow the might of the LORD to be revealed in him. On the other hand, Job a righteous man was sent infirmities for no other reason but to test Job's live and commitment to the LORD in the face of the adversary Lucifer:

Job 2:3-7 KJV - And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause. [4] And Satan answered the Lord , and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life. [5] But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face. [6] And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life. [7] So went Satan forth from the presence of the Lord , and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.

Comments

Popular Posts